Saturday, March 23, 2013

Welcome, reckless reader.

The MOOC (massive open online course) is the hot topic du jour in education. The Governor of California is a fan. The New York Times has hailed The Year of the MOOC. Harvard and MIT provided a number of MOOCs on their EdX platform a couple of years ago; last year they were joined by Berkeley; and now EdX is a consortium of universities all over the world. MOOCs, apparently, are the Thing To Do.

Are they going to work? Jerry Brown hopes so, but The Times has now gone all Eeyore.

Well, there's only one way to find out. So Philip Stark and I have stuck our necks out and are teaching Stat 2X, a MOOC on intro Stat.

Let no-one accuse us of exercising due caution.

This blog is intended as a sort of diary of observations and stories about Stat 2X. But I know myself. It's going to wander where my mind takes me. Read at your own risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment